I had hoped that I made it clear in one of my last posts about adoption paperwork that NO PAPERWORK IS BEING DELAYED on dossiers already in progress, but I have had some questions on the blog and wanted to make sure that everyone is understanding what I am saying.
1. Funds for adoption paperwork is still in each child’s account. Adoption funds that come into GLA is considered designated and as such a percentage of each payment is held in each child’s account to cover the costs of their adoption.
2. Our potential cash flow problems were in General Funds only.
3. Things were functioning as normal, but we were looking for ways to bring expenses down so that there would not be problems in the next few months.
4. Because we have 65 children waiting for families, I was holding off doing some DNA and other high cost paperwork items on new admissions just until funds picked up. We need to place so many children before the new children who have recently been placed at GLA are even ready to think about placing.
5. Much of our funding since November has been designated funds which means people have sent in funds for designated (chosen) projects and not to be used for general funding items such as diapers, formula, food, diesel, water, electricity, salaries, etc. This is where we are having problems. We could not predict that this would happen or I would have told everyone about this issue before Christmas.
6. I spent over 3 weeks in Canada in October and November visiting churches and trying to raise funds for Haiti.So we have been trying to get the word out for people to give to help the children. I have been pushing the GLA sponsorship program (for children residing at GLA) which all goes toward General Funding and the purchase of child care items and food.
7. We have quite a few families preparing paperwork to send to Haiti so that children waiting can be matched to families. It takes time to get a home study done and all of the other paperwork together to send to Haiti. Many families have been approved to adopt.
8. Most of the people who know GLA and have followed us for some time, know my feelings about placing children on web sites trying to find adoptive parents through photo listings. We are working with several adoption agencies in the States to place a few children who are considered difficult to place such as sibling groups and older children and also handicapped children. I will not list all of GLA children on web sites. I have always taken a firm stand on this and will continue to do so. IBESR does not like Haitian children to be on web sites and neither does the staff at GLA. God will find families for each child.
9. PRESIDENTIAL DISPENSATIONS: I am trying to find out why 13 dossiers were given dispensations out of several hundred. Dispensations are not individually sent to the President’s office. They are sent in batches of 6 to 12 attached together. If for some reason, such as a health issue, one child in the batch is “fast tracked” then all of them in that bunch are signed. The Presidential dispensation office is notorious for working on dossiers out of order received. No GLA children were in that batch and I am doing my best to find out if dispensations are being signed, why the oldest ones aren’t first, and why this batch was signed. Will let everyone know as son as I find out something.
I hope this answers some questions and does not just cause more confusion! What seems so clear to me, I realize is totally incomprehensible to someone else. I will be praying that God will give everyone that reads this blog understanding of these issues.
Posted on Mon, March 12, 2012