Container arrived early without any problems!

July 16 Container6

Brandon, Patrick, Jean, Wadson, Ernst, and Erick all went down to Port-au-Prince early this morning.  They left our house at 6 AM.  They wanted to be at the warehouse where the container would be unloaded when they opened at 7:30 AM.

I thought they might be up to Fort Jacques shortly after noon.  Well, I received a call from John at 9 AM and he said the first truck was already on the road!  I could not believe it!  He said the 2nd truck was almost ready to go too!

Still, I thought with the horrible traffic that we have downtown that July 16 Container28it would take them at least 2 hours to get up to Fort Jacques.  We left the main orphanage at 10:30 and the first truck was already at the property and almost completely unloaded!

The last time we had 2 containers come out at the  same time and it took forever.  People went and waited for 2 days before the containers came out and then it took us hours to unload them.  I believe it was 10 PM before we got home last time.

Well, we had both trucks unloaded in less than 2 hours!   We had lots of volunteers and all of male staff up helping and it went fast!  What a blessing the new pole barn (storage shed) is right now.  It is large enough to fit 2 or 3 containers worth of donations inside it.  It has a beautiful floor done with pavers.  The workers John hired are wonderful workers and they are doing a good job.  T hey are almost finished and should have it all done tomorrow.  This gives us a smooth, flat surface for stacking the boxes of donations.

Everyone formed a line and passed boxes to the back of the building.  Some of the boxes were terribly heavy.  I think some of the girls are going to have sore arms and backs tomorrow!  I just supervised.  With my back problems, I knew that I could not help lift boxes!July 16 Container66

But I did help cook hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill for lunch.  My son, Patrick, also helped and actually took over cooking them.  I guess he thought he could do a better job than his mom!  Patrick and his wife, Holli, and their children, Jay Jay and Lilly June, are living at Fort Jacques now and are almost settled in the house.  There were mini blinds on the container for the house. It is a very good thing there was because I sent them measurements of the windows to buy curtains, and they did not know that they needed to add 2 to 3 times the width for each window so their curtains are not wide enough!  They are going to have to use the mini blinds and then put the curtains on the outside and leave them open.  Next time they will know!  :)

I arrived at the property at 11 AM and left at 1:45 PM!  Everything went so well.  John and his group of volunteers still had to finish the doors on the pole barn this afternoon before they could come home!  The doors are now finished and only need trim work.  They were able to lock them and secure all of the donations for the night.

Our team from Michigan leave tomorrow but another team of 11 volunteers come on Monday.  We will give them the job of sorting all of the donations and getting them ready for distribution to the community.  There were no tents on this container, but we know there are some on the next two coming out.  Hopefully, they will be delivered next week.

Do you remember Miloudrine?  Her papa came today MiloudrineJune201021 with his brother and mother.  The family has made the decision to take Miloudrine home with them.  When the father brought her here after the earthquake, he told us that his mother could not help.  She was an old woman.  Well…she is not an old woman.  She looks to be in her 40’s and is very healthy. 

It is so difficult sometimes to believe what a parent tells us when they come.  They are desperate for someone to help with their child so they say whatever they need to say to have us take the child.  Sometimes they lie. 

I am very happy that the grandmother will take Miloudrine, but I wish the father had let us know that he changed his mind about her being adopted!  He told several people he did not want her to go for adoption back in May but he would not come and tell us.  He just wanted someone to take care of her for him!  I did not find out that he had changed his mind until a couple of weeks ago.  He had not visited her during her stay here.  I pray that the grandmother will take good care of her.

Here are some photos taken today during the unloading of the container.  Hope you enjoy seeing them.



6 comments (Add your own)

1. Robert Adams wrote:
Great news! The storage barn looks great. Wish I could be there.

Sat, July 17, 2010 @ 7:58 PM

2. aline wrote:
Roma is presently on holidays in Europe and Gerlinda is in Saskatchewan. We three keep in touch always waiting for an answer to go to Haiti as volunteers. We feel capable of handling wharever you want us to do so looking forward to an answer for Jan 2011 last 3 weeks of Jan to the first week of February.2011

Sat, July 17, 2010 @ 11:48 PM

3. Judy wrote:
Don't you love it when a plan comes together? May angels surround Miloudrine and may the adults in her life receive wisdom and guidance from the Holy Spirit.

Sun, July 18, 2010 @ 12:35 PM

4. Geuze family wrote:
What a nice job you have done!I always thinking what a good persons in Haiti you have to help! The storage barn looks perfect!,a big compliment for John and his workers!! Praying for all,special for the little girl,hope she has lovely family around her!

Sun, July 18, 2010 @ 3:24 PM

5. Jane Tuls wrote:
Thank you for the pictures. It helps us understand more about what is going on at GLA and in Haiti. We continue to pray for all of you and the children at GLA.

Sun, July 18, 2010 @ 4:35 PM

6. Janis wrote:
I am so pleased that everything went so well with the building and the receipt of the containers. God is so GOOD. Thank you for the picture updates..

Tue, July 20, 2010 @ 10:00 AM

Add a New Comment


Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.