Frantina is out of surgery and doing well at this time!

This Frantina this morning before surgery began.  Happy and doesn’t have any idea what is ahead for her.














Frantina went into surgery at 8:15 AM.  I decided that this must 7 AM for a Dominican Hospital! Winking smileShe was happy this morning and doing well. 

Of course, as we are getting ready to leave, the doctor comes out and tells us we need another unit of blood just in case she needs it post surgery!  Getting the first unit was difficult.  None of us could give blood because we had all been in Haiti within the last 6 months and they won’t take blood from anyone who has visited Haiti recently!  This time, I called Pastor Josh Wessin and he volunteered to go and give a unit of blood.  He has been a life saver during our time here.  I am so thankful that he and Pastor Brandon Jordon went to school together and that he lives in Santo Domingo!  He gave up his morning to do this.  It took almost 3 hours of sitting before we had the blood and back at the hospital.  By that time, it was almost 1 PM!

One of the English speaking doctors that is assigned to Frantina’s case went into surgery about 2 PM and came back and told me everything was going well and Dr. Sanchez was getting ready to put the plates and screws into her spine.  She said that she would be out in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Well at 3:15 PM, they wheeled her out to her room.  She went back into the neurological ward because all of the beds were full in ICU.  Does that story sound familiar?  But, Frantina was awake, does not have a Chest tube, and is not on a ventilator.  She has oxygen, an IV, and a catheter for urine.  She looks nothing like a child that has been in surgery for 7 hours!


We had taken all of the sheets for her bed home, diapers, baby care products, and everything we needed to stay at the hospital because they told us she would probably go into ICU!  I was the only one waiting at the hospital because we didn’t see any reason for us all to sit there waiting. Katie and Vivianne arrived shortly after Frantina was brought out of surgery.  Katie is spending the night with her tonight.




She is a little congested and getting nebulizer treatments.  She has not moved her legs yet but they did a lot of things around that spinal cord so I’m not concerned yet.  When Vivianne and I left to come back home, Frantina was dancing with her hands to some music and reaching her arms out to be held.  She cannot be held or even turned yet the doctor said.  She pulled the cord for the nebulizer machine out of the wall and keeps wanting to touch her IV site.  So she is being a normal child!  I have never seen a child who is so alert after such a long surgery.  Frantina has a strong spirit and I’m sure that this will see her through recovery and rehabilitation!

Thank you for all of your prayers. I believe God heard each and every prayer and that is why surgery went so well.  Please keep praying because the first 24 hours are always the worse post surgery. 

5 comments (Add your own)

1. Melony Altstatt wrote:
May God continue to bless sweet Frantina during her recovery. I will continue to think of her and pray for her. Thank you for all the work you have done for these dear, sweet angels of God :)

Fri, April 27, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

2. Cheryl Kimmel wrote:
Yay! You are one strong beautiful child Frantina! We will continue to pray over you here in Florida! May God bless you, protect you, heal you and keep his hand on you over this next 24 hours and always.

Wed, April 25, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

3. Kristin S. wrote:
Praise God!

Wed, April 25, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

4. Kelly Siggs wrote:
So glad to hear she is out of the surgery, I will continue to think of her beautiful smile and pray for a healthy road to recovery!!

Thu, April 26, 2012 @ 3:34 AM

5. Katie's friend Melissa wrote:
Yay for Frantina! (And a shout out to Katie too! Love you Kates!)

Sat, April 28, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

Add a New Comment


Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.