Well, if you had asked any of our staff last Monday morning what they anticipated for this past week, I don't think that any of them would have anticipated the week that they had. 17 new kids with a huge variety of weight, nutritional, "bug" issues and a whole host of emotional adjustments to deal with made it just a bit of a busy week.
So, with that being said, let's take a look at the things to give thanks for:
- The prayers of so many have been so obvious. In many ways the transitions with the new kids have gone very well. Not without their challenges, but very well, all things considered.
- Give thanks that Lovely is still, well, lovely. She's still fighting and hanging in there. Pray for strength and growth for her and peace, patience and energy for those who care for her.
- Give thanks for the internet. That's right, the internet. I got home from running errands on Saturday afternoon and walked by my computer and it "beeped" like someone was trying to talk to me. It was Susan Westwood from way across the ocean trying to get in touch with Dixie. So, I got on IM and tried to get in touch with Dixie. Eventually I was able to and after relaying a couple of messages (Haiti to Michigan to Scotland - Scotland to Michigan to Haiti) Dixie and Susan connected directly and Susan was able to walk Dixie and her staff through what was needed to help Lovely. I guess you could say that Facebook just might have saved Lovely's life on Saturday.
- Give thanks that 23 sponsors have already stepped up to make a difference in the lives of kids at GLA. If you would like to make a difference in a child at GLA, go to http://godslittlestangelsinhaiti.org/child-sponsorships-make-a-difference/ and sign up to sponsor a child of your own.
Now some prayer requests for this coming week:
- Pray for ongoing sustained good health for all of the kids, but in particular, for Sonia, Lovely and Sarafina.
- Pray that our staff would have the physical and emotional energy that they need to meet the needs placed in front of them.
- Pray that the ongoing emotional adjustments for the new kids would be dealt with and healed quite well and with a lack of pain.
- Pray that the well drillers would find water and not only water but enough that we can provide for our needs and share it with the community.
- Pray for those who are contemplating whether God is calling them to adopt from GLA that God would make the answer clear and that more of our kids would have forever families lined up waiting and praying for them.
- Pray that people will continue to support our efforts financially as the general operations of the orphanage (food, clothes, medicine, electricity etc.) take a substantial amount of resources on a daily basis.
- Pray that any parents in Haiti who are facing the hard decisions that so many wrestle with will be given peace and the wisdom to make the right even though very difficult decisions and the resources to guide them.
- Pray for those who are working on projects to help meet the post-trauma emotional needs of children in Haiti and also for those who were evacuated after the earthquake so they can better deal with the stress that they experienced. Pray that GLA's involvement in some of those projects would be beneficial to all involved.
- Pray that before the end of February, all of GLA's kids would have at least one sponsor (and ideally three) who will commit to praying for them and financially supporting them. I know that's a big dream but wouldn't it be awesome?
- Pray for the kids in the tent cities and the kids on the streets who need the care of a place like GLA.
- Pray for places like the orphanage in Kenscoff (and I'm hearing of at least two others) who have been significantly overrun with new kids that they would have the strength and supplies to care for the kids and that the appropriate communication can take place to make sure that the children are cared for well.
- Pray for the medical visa process for Sonia, for Ken and also for Michno as the details are still being worked on.
Thank you for your support, thank you for your prayers, thanks for your encouragement as our staff continues to work on behalf of the least of these in Haiti.
Manager of Partner Relations
Posted on Mon, February 21, 2011