You know, the interesting thing about working at an orphanage (actually one of many) is that it doesn't stop on Friday afternoon. The kids need love, attention, nurturing, tucking in bed etc. 7 days a week. So, for Molly, Joyce, Dixie and the gang, the job doesn't stop.
In terms of the number of new kids that we've received at GLA, this is the busiest week since 2004 when Aristide was overthrown. That's a long time! We have received 17 new kids in our care this week.
If you want to read more about them, please go to:
to read Molly's "take" on things go to:
This influx of kids (and the likelihood that there will be more coming in the relatively near future) has spurred us on to do what we have been talking about since before the earthquake. We've set up a sponsorship program for the kids. Let me explain briefly:
- The sponsorship costs $30 per child per month.
- We would like to have 3 sponsors per child.
- At this point, we have our special needs kids and the new kids listed as available for sponsorship. As time allows, we'll have more of them available.
Take a minute and think about what it costs to provide food, medicine, clothes, beds etc. for 17 new kids. Then think about how, for $1 a day, you can make a difference in the life of one of those kids and help us provide for them.
So, what do you "get" for $30 a month? A couple of things:
- A front row seat to watch the grace of God and the energy of the staff at GLA bless these kids and turn their lives around. Each month, you'll get a photo update along with some details about how your child is doing.
- The opportunity to pray for one child (or more) by name every month.
- The opportunity to feel like you are part of what we're doing for the least of the least of these.
Reminds me of what my Grandpa used to say, "It's a deal at twice the price."
And let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you in advance for your support of God's kids in Haiti,
Posted on Fri, February 18, 2011