I finally went to sleep about 1:30 AM after blogging and reading for awhile. I truly thought I would sleep until late in the morning. But I was awake y 6:30 AM, reading and playing a game on my phone with my daughter, Laurie, in Colorado! Then I thought maybe I would go back to sleep, but I didn’t and read most of the morning. I did have a nice quiet day. I needed a quiet day!
Tonight, there was a Steak Fundraiser. I have never heard of this but I guess it is quite common in this area. They sold tickets to people and then everyone went to a steak house where a room was reserved and a steak, potato, salad supper was served. There is no overhead costs and they didn’t even have to cook any of the food! The restaurant negotiates a price for the meal and “VOILA” instant fundraiser! They also got companies and individuals to donate gifts for a raffle and the guests bought tickets to win the prizes. There were 91 meals served and I thought it was great fun!
The donations were good and there were people there that had never given to the orphanage before. Then there were people there who had help to load a container and others who are coming on a team at the end of January. There was a big variety of people there!
I really want to thank Lea LaPointe and Chris Davies for doing this, and Also everyone else that helped make this happen. Good job!
Tomorrow afternoon, I am off to Nipawin, Saskatchewan (Hurray! I spelled it correctly without having to Google it!) I will be speaking at the Nipawin Apostolic church on Wednesday night at 7 PM.
A few things I have learned on this trip:
1. I can wear clothes more than once…even socks.
2. Suitcases with nylon zippers are NOT a good idea! The zipper can pull apart if you don’t zip it just right! I found that out when my suitcase came off the airplane and it was unzipped! But thankfully, nothing fell out because everything was packed in there so tight it couldn’t!
3. I always pack way too much stuff!
4. A new coat that says “blocks wind with a warm layer of insulation” and shows someone skiing on it, really means that you can wear it outside as long as it’s not too cold and you put a warm sweater under it!
5. Tim Horton’s coffee shops’ special of French Vanilla Cappuccino Supreme for $1 is WAY too tempting and I don’t even LIKE coffee!
6. A 50 pound suitcase feels like a 100 when you have to carry it up and down stairs!
Well, it’s almost 1:30 AM again and I really need to get some sleep! Night!
Posted on Wed, November 16, 2011